News

Kate and William ‘scrap posts for Charlotte’s 6th birthday’ over social media boycott

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have scrapped plans to post pictures to mark their daughter’s birthday amid a social media boycott.

Princess Charlotte turns six on Sunday, which her parents are said to have been originally planning to mark by posting content online.

But a four-day boycott of social media by sporting clubs and bodies over athlete abuse means there will be nothing uploaded.

Prince William – the president of the FA – and Kate Middleton have joined the protest in a show of solidarity.

The aim of the boycott is to push tech giants into taking stronger action against people who post racist and sexist abuse online.

Got a story? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk.

Princess Charlotte of Cambridge attends the Maserati Royal Charity Polo Trophy at the Beaufort Polo Club on June 10, 2018
Princess Charlotte turns six on Sunday

William, 38, said on Friday: “As President of the FA I join the entire football community in the social media boycott this weekend. W.”

The message was posted on the Cambridge’s official Twitter

account, @KensingtonRoyal.

The Mirror exclusively revealed earlier this year how the future king became so angry over the lack of action he called an emergency meeting at the FA to stamp it out.

Sources close to the royal told how he vowed “enough is enough” as he plans to take on mindless idiots who dish out abuse.

Prince William, Duke of Cambridge poses with players of Everton F.C. during his visit Everton Football Club's official charity Everton in the Community as part of the Heads Up campaign on January 30, 2020
William is president of the FA

William told football chiefs to devise plans on how a “multi-agency partnership” can work together to stamp out sickening racism in football.

Campaigners with anti racism charity Kick It Out are also lined up to work with the Duke after he urged the need for a “root and branch” assessment of how players and fans can deal with vile racists, after an explosion in “despicable” abuse aimed at the game’s biggest stars.

The Mirror has also shown its support for the fight against racism by joining the boycott of social media companies.

Players and clubs from all of the major sports in Britain have started a four-day protest to demand tech firms take action against online hatred and discrimination.

The Mirror’s sports social media platforms were switched off at 3pm Friday until 11.59pm on Monday.

The sports channels of the Mirror’s parent company Reach plc, the nation’s biggest sports publisher, are also taking part in the boycott.

The blockade of social media is being backed by the FA, Premier League and EFL as well as the governing bodies of rugby league, rugby union, darts and hockey.

Other organisations taking part include UEFA, Scottish football, Scottish Rugby, British Cycling, British Horseracing, the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Lawn Tennis Association.



All Credit

Related Articles

Back to top button