A 10-year-old girl turned ‘chalk white’ as she began to choke on a ‘large’ bone buried inside a Greggs steak bake, her sister says.
Courtney Smith had bought the pastry snack from the Carluke branch in Scotland for her sibling Kenzie Lee around two weeks ago.
But when the family sat down to eat together, Kenzie began to cough and choke after something became lodged in her throat.
Courtney told the Daily Record her sister’s face turned “chalk white”.
The family were shocked to discover she had almost swallowed a ‘large’ piece of bone before uncovering a second piece still inside the baked goods.
Now Courtney says Kenzie, who is autistic, has a meltdown every time they walk past a Greggs store.
She said: “My sister has autism so she’s very fussy about what she eats. All she wanted was a steak bake.
“About two weeks ago, I had just finished work and my mum asked me to get her one so I picked it up in Carluke.
“We were sitting eating and we heard Kenzie starting to choke. She kind of jumped forward, trying to get it up and was coughing.
“I rushed to help her but she managed to get it up and when I looked at it, I could see that it was a bit of bone. Her face just went chalk white.
“I told her not to eat anymore of the steak bake and opened it up to see if there was anymore inside. But when I opened it up, I found another bit inside so I got straight on the phone to the store.
“They said there was nothing they could do but they’d give us £15 to spend in their store.
“I got my mum to email their head office to complain and they just offered us another £15 even though they said it definitely looked like a bone.
“It’s just not good enough. What would have happened if it got properly stuck in her throat?
“She could’ve died. They asked us to send the bones in with a packet that they were sending out to us.
“And now they’ve said they can’t guarantee that they’ll get the bones back to us. But they waited until we had sent them to say that.
“I will never eat a steak bake from Greggs again after what happened and what I saw inside it.
“They said in their email that they can’t guarantee there won’t be bones inside their products but I’ve never seen any signs in store saying that.
“Because she has autism, every time we walk past the shop now, she starts having a meltdown but no wonder.”
In an email to the family, Greggs customer care reportedly said: “Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated your complaint.
“At Greggs we pride ourselves on the quality of all of our food and I’m sorry that we’ve let you down.
“Although we can’t guarantee that any of our foods which contain meat are free from bone and gristle, we asked our bakery team to investigate from the photos provided.
“They do believe this item to be bone. We’d like to assure you that we’re taking your complaint very seriously. We really don’t want to lose you as a valued customer.”
A Greggs spokesperson said: “We’re aware of this complaint and are investigating fully. We take all matters to do with food safety very seriously and our Customer Care team have been in regular contact with the customer.”
The Mirror has contacted Greggs for further comment.