News

Family left heartbroken as their dog dies after eating face mask left on street

A family has been left heartbroken after their beloved puppy died after eating a face mask.

Sixteen-month-old cocker spaniel Oscar ate a face covering he picked up off a street in Chester.

Tragically, the wire in the discarded mask perforated Oscar’s intestine and vets were unable to save the pup.

Oscar’s owner, Emma Paul, told Cheshire Live she, her partner and three children were all left in ‘complete and utter shock’ following the incident.

The family now want to raise awareness for other dog owners so no one else suffers their heartbreak.

Emma said the family came downstairs on Monday morning to find Oscar ‘quite poorly.’

She said: “He was sort of fine over the weekend. He had his normal two or three times a day walk.

“On Sunday afternoon he was a little quiet but he’d been out and he’d been walking.

Oscar a 16-month-old Cocker Spaniel who died after eating a face mask
The family have been left in ‘complete and utter shock’ following little Oscar’s death

“It was on Monday morning when we came downstairs that he was obviously quite poorly.

“We rang the vets, straight away and got him straight down there and they just didn’t know what it was.

“They thought it might have been some sort of toxin poisoning, so he was on drips and had blood tests and all sorts.

“Then we had to take him over to Chester Gate on Monday evening for overnight care. They were fantastic as well. Lots of lots of investigations took place, he had a blood transfusion.

“They discovered he had sepsis by Tuesday afternoon, so operating was the only thing they could do at that point.

“I think they just realised once they’ve opened him up that the damage to his intestine was just too great for him to survive. The wire had gone and scraped down his intestine.

“I spoke to the vets on Wednesday and they said it was a face mask that he’d eaten probably Friday or Saturday on a walk. They said it was the wire that had caused all the damage.”

Emma said she was in shock but also felt anger following the incident.

She said: “It was just complete and utter shock and also anger, because there is a lot of litter.

“We walk him along Duke’s Drive everyday and there’s litter up there.

“My husband goes out every morning with him with a litter picker and picks up all sorts around.

“You know, somebody might have put their hand in their pocket and pulled something out and the face mask might have fallen out at the same time.

“We’re not saying it was intentional at all, but it’s just so sad that it was particularly a face mask that has caused this to happen.”



All Credit

Related Articles

Back to top button