NewsUK News

Charles and William ‘will lead summit within weeks to decide Royal Family’s future’

Princes Charles and William will lead a summit meeting within weeks to decide the future of the Royal Family, it has been claimed.

The pair will reportedly put plans together alongside the Queen for what each working royal will do going forward, following the death of Prince Philip.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s passing on April 9 meant his hundreds of patronages have been left vacant.

While Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s departure last year and Prince Andrew’s stepping back means the pool of senior members of the Firm available for roles was further reduced.

Sources told the Telegraph official and personal duties cannot be decided separately because they are too closely linked.

They also said it will need to be discussed whether to continue with the sheer number of engagements the Firm undertakes.

Do you enjoy reading about the royal family? Sign up for all the best royal news from the Mirror here

Queen Elizabeth II at the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey, London.
Talks with the Queen are expected to decide which royals take on what duties

William is understood to favour a more targeted approach so greater emphasis can be put on fewer duties.

Currently around 15 members of the Royal Family take part in more than 3,000 duties per year.

One source told the newspaper: “The question is whether you start off by deciding how many patronages and engagements there should be, and then work out how many people are needed to achieve them, or whether you decide how many people there should be, which will dictate how many engagements and patronages they can take on.”

Male members of the Royal Family at Prince Philip's funeral
Male members of the Royal Family at Prince Philip’s funeral

The Prince of Wales, 72, is said to be most likely to lead upcoming discussions as any decisions will have immediate impact when he takes the throne next.

But he is understood to be keen for the Duke of Cambridge, 38, to have significant input as well.

Charles’s youngest brother Prince Edward and wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex, are expected to takeover from Harry and Meghan after Buckingham Palace officially announced last month they would not return following a 12-month review.

Princes Charles, William and Harry, with Meghan and Kate
The departure of Harry and Meghan has left certain duties open

However, they both already fulfil 544 duties between them.

This compares to the 588 the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did in 2019, which all need to be redistributed.

The Duke of York was forcibly removed from public life after his car crash interview on BBC’s Newsnight almost 18 months ago in which he refused to condemn his friendship with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

And so any of his duties must also be divvied up.

Andrew, 61, Philip and Harry also had patronages and military titles which are now free and need claiming.

Prior to his youngest son’s decision to leave and his father’s death, Charles had favoured reducing the active section of the monarchy in an effort to help justify its existence to the public.

It would have been made up of Her Majesty and her late husband, himself and Camila, along with William and Kate, and Harry.

The latter would have taken on a significant role once his brother took the thrown until the Cambridge children were old enough to take on senior duties.



All Credit

Related Articles

Back to top button